How urgent is removal of a foreign body after ingestion

How urgent is removal of a foreign body after ingestion? 

Button batteries or magnets, ingested typically by small children, need to be removed urgently because of the severe trauma that they may cause in the esophagus. Any sharp object that carries a high risk for perforation should be removed as soon as possible before it passes to a level that is beyond the reach of an endoscope. For the same reasons, long objects (larger than 6 cm) should be removed when identified. Finally, objects lodged in the esophagus that compromise ability to handle oral secretions should be removed urgently to reduce the risk of aspiration.

15585

Sign up to receive the trending updates and tons of Health Tips

Join SeekhealthZ and never miss the latest health information

15856
Scroll to Top