What is Utthita Marichyasana (Intense Torso and Leg Stretch Yoga Pose)
this variation of the classic pose, Marichyasana is practiced against the
wall with the help of a high stool. this asana works the paraspinal muscles and
ligaments, which rarely get exercised in our normal, day-to-day routine. the props allow the twist to be achieved without strain.
Utthita Marichyasana is recommended for those with lower backaches.
Benefits of Utthita Marichyasana
- Relieves stiffness in the neck and shoulders
- Improves the alignment of the spinal column and keeps it supple
- Alleviates pain in the lower back, hips, and tailbone
- Prevents the shortening of the leg muscles associated with aging
- Prevents sciatica
- Cures indigestion
- Relieves flatulence
Contraindications and Cautions
Do not practice this asana if you have
- serious heart diseases
- blocked arteries
- high or low blood pressure
- severe eye strain
- chronic fatigue
- Osteoarthritis of the knees.
- Avoid this asana during menstruation