What's on this Page
What is Marichyasana (Torso and leg stretch)
This asana is dedicated to the sage, Marichi. his father was Brahma, creator
of the universe, and his grandson was the sun god, Surya, the giver of life.
Regular practice of the asana stretches your entire body and rejuvenates it.
This asana increases your levels of energy.
Benefits of Marichyasana
- Increases energy levels
- Tones and massages the abdominal organs
- Improves the functioning of the liver,spleen, pancreas, kidneys, and intestines and tones them
- Reduces fat around the waistline
- Relieves lumbago
- Alleviates lower backaches and cervical spondylosis
- Increases blood circulation to the abdominal organs
- Aids the digestion and reduces flatulence
- Helps in the treatment of hernia
Do not practice this asana if you have
- Diarrhea or dysentery
- Heart Diseases
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Cold or chest congestion
- Avoid during menstruation
How to do Marichyasana – Step by Step Instructions
- Sit in Dandasana on a folded blanket.
- Place a block behind you.
- Bend your right leg at the knee.
- Make sure the shin is perpendicular to the floor and your right heel touches your groin.
- Keep your left leg straight.
- Bend your right elbow and place your upper right arm against you inner right leg.
- Place your left hand on the block behind you, keeping your left arm straight.
- Press your right arm and your right knee against each other, with equal pressure.
- Press your left hand down on the block.
- Press your right ankle down on the floor and turn your torso farther to the right.
- Push your left armpit against the outer side of the right knee.
- This will help you rotate your torso more effectively.
- Ensure that you turn from your waist first, and then the chest.
- Exhale, and encircle your right knee with your left arm.