What are the risk factors for developing diabetic peripheral neuropathy?
- Duration of diabetes
- Degree of glycemic control
- Older age
- Male gender
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Nicotine use
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme D allele
- Ruth FJ, Schulmeyer M, Roesch C, et al: Diagnostic and therapeutic value due to suspected diagnosis, long-term complications, and indication for sural nerve biopsy. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 107:214–217, 2005.
- England JD, Franklin G, Gjorvad G, et al: Quality improvement in neurology: Distal symmetric polyneuropathy quality measures Neurology 82;1745-1748, 2014.
- Russell JW, Zilliox LA: Diabetic neuropathies. Continuum (Minneap Minn) 20(5):1226–1240, 2014.
- Harati Y: Diabetic neuropathies: Unanswered questions. Neurol Clin 25:303-317, 2007.