What is Tadasana Urdhva BaddhangulIyasana (Mountain pose with fingers interlocked)
- This is a variation of Tadasana, the “mountain pose.”
- The brain is completely relaxed but alert in this Yoga Asana
- The special feature of this Yoga Pose is the awareness you feel. You are conscious of the intense stretch of your whole body, right from your feet to your interlocked fingers.
- This Yoga asana helps you to Feel the energy flow upward from your feet to your knuckles.
What are the Sanskrit words Tadasana Urdhva BaddhangulIyasana mean?
- Here are the meaning Sanskrit, the word Urdhva means “upward” and the word baddha indicates “caught” or “bound,” while anguli translates as “fingers.”
Benefits of Tadasana Urdhva BaddhangulIyasana
- Boosts confidence and helps treat depression
- Relieves arthritis
- Stretches the shoulders, arms, wrists, and fingers
- Helps to treat spinal disorders
- Tones and activates the torso, back, abdomen, and pelvis
- Strengthens the knee joints
- Reduces sciatic pain
- Corrects flat feet
Contraindications and Cautions
- Heart diseases
- Stress related headaches
- Low blood pressure
- Osteoarthritis of the knees
- In case you have high blood pressure, do not hold the pose for more than 15 seconds.
- if you have had polio, are knock-kneed, or have a problem with your balance, keep your feet 8 in (20 cm) apart.
- if you are prone to backaches, have a slipped disk, or a prolapsed uterus, keep the tips of the big toes together and keep your heels apart.
How to do Tadasana Urdhva BaddhangulIyasana – Step by Step Instructions
PROPS THE WALL helps you to align your body correctly, makes adjustments in the pose easier, and gives stability to the final pose.
- Begin with Standing on your feet in Tadasana against a wall, on an even, uncovered surface.
- Then slowly Bring your arms toward your chest
- Do remember your palms needs to face your chest.
- Now Interlock your fingers firmly, from the base of the knuckles, with the little finger of your left hand lower than the little finger of the right hand
- Turn your interlocked palms inside out.
- Exhale, and stretch your arms out in front of you at shoulder level.
- Then inhale, and raise your arms above your head until they are perpendicular to the floor.
- Extend your arms fully and lock your elbows.
- Feel the stretch in your palms.
- Hold the pose for 30-60 seconds.