What is Salamba Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand)
- Practicing this asana integrates your mind with your body and soul.
- Your brain feels bright yet calm, your body feels light and infused with radiance.
- The inverted pose allows fresh, healthy blood to circulate around your neck and chest.
- This alleviates bronchial disorders and stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
Here is the video to help you understand the right step by step technique to practice the Salamba Sarvangasana
Benefits of Salamba Sarvangasana
- Alleviates hypertension
- Soothes the nerves
- Improves the functioning of the thyroid and parathyroid glands
- Alleviates asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, throat disorders and congestion
- Relieves breathlessness and palpitations
- Helps treat colds and sinus blockages/sinuisitis
- Improves bowel movements and relieves colitis
- Alleviates urinary disorders
- This yoga pose stretches and strengthens the shoulder and the neck
- Helps treat hernia
- Helps treat a prolapsed uterus and reduces uterine fibroids
- Relieves congestion and heaviness in the ovaries, and helps treat ovarian cysts
- Calms the brain
- Stimulates the function of the prostate glands
- Reduces menstrual cramps and helps regulate menstrual flow, if done regularly between two menstrual periods
- Relieves stress and nervous disorders
- eases migraines and stress related headaches
- alleviates hypertension and insomnia
- reduces palpitations
- This yoga pose helps in relieving from the symptoms of mild depression
- Stimulates the function of the abdominal organs
- Improves the digestion
- Relieves cervical spondylosis and shoulder pain
- This yoga pose relieves insomnia
- Prevents varicose veins
- Relieves the fatigue
- This yoga asana helps in reducing the symptoms of menopause
- Strengthens and tones the legs and buttocks
- Alleviates ulcers, colitis, chronic constipation, and hemorrhoids
- This pose is the best yoga therapy for infertility
Contraindications and Cautions
- Do not practice this asana during menstruation.
- People with high blood pressure should only attempt this asana immediately after holding the pose of Halasana for at least 3 minutes.