What is Salamba Sarvangasana (Shoulderstand)
- Practicing this asana integrates your mind with your body and soul.
- Your brain feels bright yet calm, your body feels light and infused with radiance.
- The inverted pose allows fresh, healthy blood to circulate around your neck and chest.
- This alleviates bronchial disorders and stimulates the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
Benefits of Salamba Sarvangasana
- Alleviates hypertension
- Relieves insomnia and soothes the nerves
- Improves the functioning of the thyroid and parathyroid glands
- Alleviates asthma, bronchitis, sinusitis, throat disorders and congestion
- Relieves breathlessness and palpitations
- Helps treat colds and sinus blockages
- Improves bowel movements and relieves colitis
- Alleviates urinary disorders
- Helps treat hernia
- Helps treat a prolapsed uterus and reduces uterine fibroids
- Relieves congestion and heaviness in the ovaries, and helps treat ovarian cysts
- Reduces menstrual cramps and helps regulate menstrual flow, if done regularly between two menstrual periods
- relieves stress and nervous disorders
- eases migraines and stress related headaches
- alleviates hypertension and insomnia
- reduces palpitations
- relieves cervical spondylosis and shoulder pain
- Prevents varicose veins
- Alleviates ulcers, colitis, chronic constipation, and hemorrhoids
Contraindications and Cautions
- Do not practice this asana during menstruation.
- People with high blood pressure should only attempt this asana immediately after holding the pose of Halasana for at least 3 minutes.