What is Acute Biphenotypic Leukemia (BAL)
BAL is a rare type of leukaemia.
Biphenotypic acute leukemia is a combination of two types of acute leukemias, they are acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) and acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL).
The exact cause of BAL is unknown
Prognosis of BAL
- Prognosis of Acute Biphenotypic Leukemia is poor.
- But recent research conducted reveal that there are some good prognostic features
- Here are the most important emerging factors indicating good prognosis are:
- individuals less than age of 60
- absence of the Philadelphia chromosome
- Treatment depends on the most common type of immature blood cells or blasts (AML or ALL) in the leukemia
- Bone marrow transplant