Indications for image guided percutaneous fluid aspiration (PFA) and percutaneous catheter drainage (PCD)?
- • Obtain a sample for fluid characterization.
- • Remove fluid suspected to be infected or the result of an abnormal fistulous connection.
- • Remove a fluid collection suspected to be the cause of symptoms sufficient to warrant drainage.
- • Perform an adjunctive procedure necessary to facilitate the improved outcome of a subsequent intervention (e.g., drainage prior to sclerotherapy).
- • Perform a temporizing maneuver to stabilize the patient’s condition before definitive surgery (e.g., drainage of diverticular abscess to allow primary reanastomosis).