Skip to content
Scroll to Top
How is plantar fasciitis treated?
- • Initial therapy:
- Heel cup or other heel cushioning: consider custom orthotics if foot abnormalities are present.
- Stretching exercises of the plantar fascia and Achilles tendon; “soda can roll” with foot.
- Avoid weight-bearing exercise.
- • If no improvement after approximately 2 to 3 months, continue the plan above and add:
- Night splint: a removable splint to hold the foot in minimal dorsiflexion while sleeping
- Consider a local corticosteroid injection.
- • If no improvement after approximately 6 to 12 months of conservative therapy, consider a referral for surgery (<10% of patients).