5 Interesting Facts of Viral Arthritides
1. In the majority of cases, viral arthritis is self-limited and does not lead to permanent joint damage.
2. Autoantibodies can be seen during and after all viral infections.
3. In the majority of patients, the treatment is supportive with nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
4. Parvovirus is the most common viral arthritis in the United States.
5. A thorough history (including exposures and travel) is critical to the diagnosis of virus-induced rheumatic disease.