Joint Commission Standards for Pain Management
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals recommends the following six standards:
- • Recognize the right of individuals to appropriate pain management.
- • If pain exists, determine this and also assess the nature and intensity.
- • Establish policies and procedures to support ordering safe, effective pain medication.
- • Educate patients and families about effective pain management.
- • Consider pain management needs in the discharge planning process.
- • Incorporate pain management in the organization’s performance improvement process.