Hepatitis B Immune Globulin Brand Names
BayHep B | Hepagam B | Hep-B-Gammagee | HyperHEP S/D | Nabi-HB
What is Hepatitis B Immune Globulin
Hepatitis B immune globulin (HBIG) is a solution of purified gamma globulins containing anti-HBs antibodies with activity against hepatitis B virus surface antigen (HBsAg).
Anti-HBs antibodies are collected from the plasma of individuals with high titers; the source plasma undergoes processing to inactivate and remove viruses including hepatitis B, hepatitis C, hepatitis A, parvovirus B19, and HIV.
HBIG provides passive immunity to patients exposed to the hepatitis B virus (HBV); it is indicated for use in the following settings: acute exposure to blood containing HBsAg; sexual or household exposure to persons infected with HBV; and infants born to HBsAg-positive mothers.
In postexposure prophylaxis, HBIG may provide temporary protection from HBV infection for 3 to 6 months.
In all postexposure cases, combined treatment with HBIG and hepatitis B vaccine provides short and long-term protection against HBV.
HBIG does not appear to suppress the active immunity induced by the hepatitis B vaccination. In addition to postexposure prophylaxis, HepaGam B is also indicated for the prevention of hepatitis B recurrence after liver transplantation in HBsAg-positive patients; monthly HepaGam B administration for life is required.
- hepatitis B infection
- hepatitis B prophylaxis
For post-exposure hepatitis B prophylaxis
after percutaneous (e.g., bite, needlestick) or mucosal exposure to HBsAg-positive blood or body fluids that contain blood
- elevated hepatic enzymes
- injection site reaction
- laboratory monitoring not necessary
- IgA deficiency
- intravenous administration
- laboratory test interference
- viral infection
- Diphtheria Toxoid, Tetanus Toxoid, Acellular Pertussis Vaccine, DTaP; Hepatitis B Vaccine, Recombinant; Inactivated Poliovirus Vaccine, IPV
- Haemophilus influenzae type b Conjugate Vaccine; Hepatitis B Vaccine, Recombinant
- Hepatitis A Vaccine, Inactivated; Hepatitis B Vaccine, Recombinant
- Hepatitis B Vaccine, Recombinant
- Measles Virus; Mumps Virus; Rubella Virus; Varicella Virus Vaccine, Live
- Measles/Mumps/Rubella Vaccines, MMR
- Rotavirus Vaccine
- Rubella Virus Vaccine Live
- Varicella-Zoster Virus Vaccine, Live