What biologics can inhibit IL 5? What are its uses and toxicities?
Mepolizumab (Nucala) is a humanized IgG1κ monoclonal antibody that binds to IL-5. This antibody inhibits IL-5 which profoundly affects the activation and survival of eosinophils. Half-life with subcutaneous administration is 16 to 22 days.
- • Available formulations: 100 mg of lyophilized powder in single-dose vial for reconstitution.
- • FDA indications: eosinophilic granulomatosis with polyangiitis (EGPA). Also asthma.
- • Dose (EGPA): 300 mg (3 × 100-mg vials) SC once every 4 weeks.
- • Monitoring: no specific tests.
- • Adverse reactions: hypersensitivity reactions, herpes zoster, and potentially helminthic infections.